Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Stubble Jumpers in Edmonton

I think I am in good company.  This place is not far from where my roots began.  But something kind is happening here.  I arrived 7 days ago to rain and mild weather.  Now, a week later, a blizzard or two between, and frigid temperatures, and we have rain once again.  Rain is nice, when you are expecting snow and cold. But I am not sure that I will feel quite so happy tomorrow morning when I try to get to work.  We will see.

Now with 3 days under my belt, I feel like I know what I am doing at the school.  I really enjoy the diversity of the classes.  I have a veritable banquet of cultures in both classes, which makes for very interesting content in the classroom.  Everyone in the classes are fully aware of this too, and so excited to be calling such diversity 'home'.  Today we were talking about many things, and one of those things was cultural foods.  Once we learned about everyone's favourite foods, they asked me, "Frances, what is Canadian food?".  We eventually deduced that poutine is our national food.

I have had serious reservations about this decision I made. Every day for a good portion of this week I would calculate how many days I must remain here just to recover what it cost me to get here - and then head back home.  Each of those days I would fall into bed at night and think - I can do this.  Today I never had that thought once!  I guess that means I am committed. I am now wondering if my decision comes as a result of living in a B&B where I return at the end of the day and my room(s) are cleaned and polished, my bed made, and ready for me to do damage again.  Time will tell.

A week done, a feeling of accomplishment, and a terrific job all tell me that I will reside in Edmonton for 4 months.  But don't hold me to it. I can change my mind like  Calgary weather changes.


No comments:

Post a Comment